Revolutionary Chip Architecture Leverages Quantum Effects, Potentially Increasing Computing Power 1,000,000x
Unlike traditional integrated circuits, which consist of a collection of miniature transistors operating on a single piece of semiconductor, the so-called “spin logic circuits” utilize the quantum physics phenomenon of spin, a fundamental property of the electron.
In spintronic devices, information is stored (written) into spins as a particular spin orientation (up or down).
“What we’ve developed is a device that can be configured in a logic circuit that is capable of performing all the necessary Boolean logic and can be cascaded to develop sophisticated function units,” said …one of the paper’s authors. “We are using ‘spintronic’ logic devices to successfully perform the same operations as a conventional CMOS circuits but with fewer devices and more computing power.”
The spin-logic circuits are created with magnetoresistive bipolar spin-transistors…
The new logic family, which takes advantage of the magnetic properties associated with electron spin, could result in a computer 1 million times more power-efficient than those on the market today, the researchers believe. While that achievement is optimistic and could take a decade to realize, “We think this is potentially groundbreaking,” Friedman said.
15 Notes/ Hide
- felix-le-chat reblogged this from nitrox72
- therearepeoplewho likes this
- nst-online reblogged this from joshbyard and added:
- skudd reblogged this from nitrox72 and added:
- complexitea reblogged this from joshbyard
- violencekings reblogged this from nitrox72
- violencekings likes this
- infectedwithrage likes this
- vincentscottblack reblogged this from janhasart
- zangen likes this
- rainsexual reblogged this from joshbyard and added:
- rainsexual likes this
- nitrox72 reblogged this from joshbyard
- janhasart reblogged this from joshbyard
- joshbyard posted this